ESD EL Specialists are regional staff who support school districts statewide who have less than 20 English Language Learners enrolled within a school district. The goal of the grant funding is to support and assist districts with smaller numbers of ELLs to improve outcomes for ELLs by:
- Analysis and provision of guidance on equitable access to education for ELLs;
- Identification of each district’s specific needs, according to data, surveys/conversations, and observations, using a root cause analysis;
- Improvement of instruction for ELLs in each district, using a coaching model developed as a professional learning team, in consultation with the Oregon Department of Education, and other EL Specialists;
- Professional development of EL Specialists;
- Increased parent involvement;
- Interpretation of data to analyze strengths and weaknesses in instruction for ELLs; and
- Reflection on professional practice and district needs.